8.21.2008

Over the hill




Intervention. Divine. Film. Music. Intraconnection. Truffaut. Moreau. Monika. The hill. Over the hill. Franz. An ape's way out. The academy. A report to it. Movies as novels. Novels as songs. Harmonic-black&white-chapters.


Why? Tell me, why?

You don't call me anymore

Don't you want me anymore?


All she ever wanted was a way out. She never wanted freedom.


Jim: Either it's raining, or I'm dreaming.

Catherine: Maybe it's both.


Black, It's all black

It's the colour of my heart

It's the colour of my eyes


She never meant this great feeling of freedom on all sides. She never demanded freedom.


Jim: l always thought she was like Napoleon, she claims the world is rich and one can sometimes cheat a bit, but she first asks God for forgiveness sure that she'll get it


But I'm here, Yes I'm here

Everybody seems to mean so much

Everybody seems to think I'm fine


People all too often are deceived by freedom. And since freedom is reckoned among the most sublime feelings, the corresponding disappointment is also among the most sublime.


Catherine's plunge into the river so astonished Jim that he drew it the next day, though he didn't usually draw. Admiration for Catherine welled up in him and he sent her a kiss in his mind.


Late, It's too late

I am punishing myself

By admitting it's too late

Laugh, You may laugh

You can laugh at me for days

You may spit me if you want


No, she didn’t want freedom. Only a way out—to the right or left or anywhere at all. She made no other demands, even if the way out should be only an illusion.


Catherine: You said, "I love you," I said, "Wait." I was going to say, "Take me," you said, "Go away."


'Cause I'm here, I'm still here

Everybody seems to mean so much

Everybody seems to think I'm fine


The demand was small; the disappointment would not be any greater—to move on further, to move on further!


Jim: We played with life and lost.


Look at me, There were more to see

There were more to be proud of...


Only not to stand still with arms raised, pressed again a crate wall.


Catherine: Watch us well, Jules!



Song: Over the Hill by Monika
Video: Jules et Jim (1962) by Francois Truffaut
Text: A report to the Academy by Franz Kafka

No comments: